March 16, 2009

"White Lies, Black Sheep: Director Explores Cultural Identity in New Film

By Cassandra Baptista

There was one scene left of the film when the screen froze. The audience of 10 people waited in silence, as though speaking would break the story’s spell.

James Spooner, director and documentarian, fumbled in his bag for a back-up dvd.

“Welcome to independent filmmaking,” he said.

The 32-year-old, who feels he was raised by the “punk rock scene,” has been critically acclaimed for his provocative documentary “Afro-Punk”. Spooner showed his most recent film “White Lies, Black Sheep”, which is his first fiction effort, on Feb. 18 to members of the Emerson community.

Standing tall with his hands tucked in the pockets of his black, bomber jacket, Spooner explained to the audience that he too searches for identity, like the protagonist in his new film. The movie captures an African American man’s transition to cultural awareness and acceptance. Before Spooner flew back to LA the next morning, he ate his dinner of Chinese food at 10 p.m. and discussed how his movies have been his film school and his growing family has given him purpose.

Q. How long have you known you wanted to direct?
A. When I made “Afro-Punk”, I didn’t feel like I wanted to be a director—I just was an artist. Film just seemed like the right medium to tell that story. I realized I could reach people in a tangible way.

Q. You mentioned we go through a transition in our search for identity. Did you experience that?
A. Yeah, totally. That’s what this whole thing is about. This film is kind of like the end of that transition for me. When we were done with the film, I was like, ‘I’m so not connected to this anymore, to this experience of transition.” At that point in time, I felt like I had pushed myself as far as I could go.

Q. And are you happy with the result?
A. Depends what day you ask me.

Q. What about today?
A. Yea, I’m alright. (Laughs). Just as an artist, I’ve come so much farther…There’s always going to be the idea of ‘had I known then, what I know now,’ but you have to put that away and look at your audience and see how they are reacting to it—is your work getting the reaction that you intended.

Q. Is it getting that reaction?
A. Well, it didn’t bother me when mainstream reviewers didn’t care for “Afro-Punk”, but when the same reviewers didn’t care for this film, it bothered me. I was really down on myself, and then I showed it to a college in Iowa. About 90 people of all different ages came, and they were so elated. It reminded me of who I made this movie for, and it certainly wasn’t for a Hollywood reporter. Those 15-year-old kids who comment me on Myspace about how my film saved their life—those are the people who matter.

Q. Is there someone you look up to, personally or professionally?
A. I think it would be easier if I did because then I’d know where I’m going. I do feel that I’m at this place where I am a little lost, career-wise.

Q. Well, instead of knowing where you want to be in the future, how do you want to feel? What will make you happy down the line?
A. I’m going to have a baby in August, and that’s what I’ve always wanted, to have a family and be an awesome dad. And that’s all in place now. So, if my kid is totally well adjusted and likes me, that’ll make me happy. And ultimately, being creative makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment